David Musgrave has released a basic unsupported version of a highly useful product Snapshot to setup, pre-load and migrate data to GP. I am as excited about this as I was about "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and "The Dark Knight".
Here are the the example uses -
• Automatic pre-loading of data into new companies. You could pre-
load tax schedules, charts of accounts, module Setup information, etc.
• Pre-loading of data into new companies using the wizard to select the
appropriate profile. For example, you could supply profiles for
different business types.
• Copying specific data from any product for backup or support
purposes. Can be used to send specified table data via email rather
than an entire company.
• Backing up and restoring Sales Consultant’s demonstration systems
created for demonstrating specific products.
• Backing up and restoring specific data to return to a known state for
development SQA (Software Quality Assurance) purposes.
• Copying data between different companies on a system.
• Copying data between different systems, independent of database
platform, account framework or sort order.
• Corporate data archiving by copying selected data using the where
clause and then clearing those selected records from the table.
• Migrating data between platforms, especially for 3rd party products
that do not have migration facilities.
• Creating or re-creating tables, especially for 3rd party products that do
not have installation scripts.
• Creating or re-creating the Dexterity automatic stored procedures,
especially when a Dexterity runtime update recommends recreation of
the store procedures.
• Ensuring access is granted to tables and stored procedures, by
requesting SnapShot to create the tables without dropping them first.
• Obtaining a resource description report for tables and fields from any
• Obtaining resource information as a tab delimited file for importing
into the data dictionary of your favorite data mining or reporting
• Obtaining resource information as an XML file for use with any XML