As this has changed a lot from earlier versions, this still puts people off. It definitely is a more organized way, in case you have different report access permissions for different people. More than anything, if you maintain the Alternate Report ID's well, anybody going in to provide support knows where to go immediately.
Here are the steps -
To set access to alternate/modified forms and reports:
1. Open the Alternate/Modified Forms and Reports window.
(Microsoft Dynamics GP menu >> Tools >> Setup >> System >> Alternate/Modified Forms and Reports)
2. Enter an ID and description.
3. Select a product from the Product list.
(If you’re using integrating products with Microsoft Dynamics GP, they are displayed in the list in addition to Microsoft Dynamics GP.)
4. In the Type list, select the type of item you want to set access for.
5. In the Alternate/Modified Forms and Report list, a tree view is displayed if there are any alternate/modified forms and reports for the product and type that you selected. The tree view is organized by series.
o Expand a series to display a list of the forms or reports that are available as alternate/modified forms or reports.
o By default, the original forms or reports are selected already. If you want users to be able to access the alternate version of that form or report, select the alternate form or report.
6. Repeat steps 3 through 5 to set access to alternate/modified forms and reports for all products.
7. Choose Save.