In addition to the Search Engine, the GP Articles by various MVPs and Experts have been organized by categories, for people who like browsing rather than searching. There are over 6000 articles in various categories. The topics are ranked based on their importance based on how often they are recommended by other GP Experts.
As of today, there are 6169 articles organized into various GP categories like -
In this category, right on the top you will see Mark Polino’s extremely famous “50 MORE Tips in 50 Minutes” presentation. Under the main Tips and Tricks category, you can find hundreds of great tips for each module like -
- Under Multicurrency Management (17 Sub-Items) you will see Effects of disabling Multicurrency Management by Mariano Gomez amongst other tips.
- Under PM (Payables Management) you will see the fantastic It's "Payables Management" NOT "Invoices I need to pay" by Belinda Allen and many other tips
- Under GP Budgets (26 Sub-Items) you will see tips like the one on GP Budgets by Frank Hamelly
- Under RM (Receivables Management) you will see posts like Michael Johnson’s post about Automatic Aging for GP
- Posts about Manufacturing by Waqas Butt and the GL Trial Balance Script by Steve Gray in the GL (General Ledger) Tips category
- Post on Revenue and Expense Deferral by Duke Del Prado
- You will see a post about the The Future of FRx and Management Reporter (for Dynamics GLs) by Jan Harrigan
- Using the built-in Report Writer Functions by Microsoft Expert David Musgrave
- The Feature of the Day: Drill Down Builder described at the official Dynamics GP Blog which is maintained by Andy, Pam, Errol and others in the Dynamics GP Team
- Metrics: Gross Profit for the Past 12 Months Calculation Method and many other metrics by M Daoud
- Excellent Posts about Crystal Reports by Victoria Yudin and others
- Here you will find the Support Debugging Tool Portal which is regularly updated and maintained by David Musgrave. This is also one of the most recommended links on GPWindow.
- See other posts about Rapid Migration and Implementation Tools (18 Sub-Items) and Professional Service Tools (9 Sub-Items) by Leslie Vail and Mariano.
Some sample posts -
- Here you will see Posts on Excel Report Builder by Devon Southhall, and Janakiram MP.
- There are posts on Dynamics GP 2010 - Word Templates by Vaidy Mohan under the Word Templates category .
- Want your GL Trial Balance in Excel? by Belinda Allen
- Post about OLE Attachments and GP by Andy Nifong
- Visual Basic for Applications workshop by Mariano Gomez in the VBA category
- Developer Articles & Links by David Musgrave
- Information about VS Tools for GP by Patrick Roth from Microsoft.
- A note about Deploying Chunk Files by CVAKumar under DEVELOPMENT: Dexterity
- Great Plains Developer Resource List by David Patrick
- Here you will find the Month End and Year-End procedures with posts like Don't you go closing my year... by Christina Phillips and Partial Month End Module Closing by Mark Polino.
- All the details about Moving from Work to Open to History by Leslie Vail.
- Other articles about Printing/Printers (Printing Multiple Documents Easily by Frank Hamelly and lots of other tips), Posting(How to automatically send all posting reports to screen in Microsoft Dynamics GP by Mariano Gomez, Transaction vs. Batch Posting by Mark Polino)
- Articles about Reconcile (How do I reconcile a cash account with no transactions for the period – by Frank Hamelly), Checklinks (“How does Check Links work?” by Mariano Gomez)
- and Taxes (Posts on Sales Tax by Frank Hamelly, Use Tax by Mark Polino among others )
This category would be useful for people who support or implement Dynamics GP. It has information about
- GP on Citrix/Terminal Server – with articles like Steve Endow’s Making the Dynamics GP User ID field blank on Terminal Servers
- Support LifeCycle for GP – The useful When does my GP product’s support end? page by Victoria Yudin
- System Requirements for GP 10, GP 2010 and more
- Posts and resources on Dynamics GP Scalability
Hopefully this section will save everybody a lot of time. Here you will find the latest links for Dynamics GP Release Downloads, FRx Downloads, GP Service Pack Downloads, IM Downloads and Management Reporter Download
My favorite link here is the Dynamics GP Product Downloads and Service Pack Links maintained and kept current by David Musgrave
Here you will find Consultants Sell article by Martin from eOne Solutions, and lots of excellent articles by Dwight Specht like “I did my job” – “Yeah, but we suck” , Managing in a Downturn, Bad Client! Bad, Bad Client!, Evaluation of Consulting Staff and many others.
Here you will find some product information including information about Free Dynamics GP Addon’s by Matt Landis and company.
Here you will find the Useful SQL Scripts Series by David Musgrave and other scripts by Mariano, Mark, Victoria, M Daoud and Ron Wilson at Real Life Dynamics User Blog. You can find more than 200 scripts under various modules.
- Here you will find the Why does Microsoft Dynamics GP encrypt passwords? and the excellent Microsoft Dynamics GP Application Level Security Series by David Musgrave along with other articles on security.
- Going into specifics under Field Level Security (6 Sub-Items) you will find a post on Simple Field Level Security by Steve Chapman.
- There’s also a great post on Audit Trail codes – different prefix’s in different companies Microsoft Dynamics GP by Ian Stewart.
This site is all Dynamics GP, so you would see a category for Dex.ini Settings (with excellent posts from Leslie Vail, Mariano and Mark ) and one for Reports.dic under SUPPORT (TECHNICAL) (438 Sub-Items) .
- There are over 200 categories so I highly recommend using “CTRL + F” to look for a category.
- There are over 6000 articles, the articles above are just a small selection from each category. I was also trying to keep a healthy mix of articles from all GP Experts. Please dig into a category to find out more articles. Over the next few months I will try and detail out the most popular articles in each category.
Thank you notes !
Thanks to David Musgrave for noticing and promoting the Custom GP Blog Search, which lead to GPWindow.com, and for his excellent review. Thanks to Vaidy for taking out time to review the website in detail, and staying up late to give his feedback in a busy week. Thanks to Mariano Gomez, the GP expert with the big heart, for passing on good words about GPWindow. Thanks to Mark Polino and M Daoud for their feedback.
Thanks to my good friend Evgeny for his techie magic. Thanks to Rubal, the idea-machine, for suggesting a URL and the directory, she already has ideas about the next version. Thanks to Kuldeep for telling me every Monday morning- “You know, I’ll tell you the truth - the website looked pretty average last week, but now it ROCKS! It looks very useful now!”, and after reading this post telling me “You know I like the site, and I like your post about it, but the Thank you notes are a little cheesy!” He said it was perfect, when I told him, the only name I could take out was his name.
Thanks to Chetna for volunteering to spend time in reviewing the website and checking meticulously if there was any missing data, to Tina for her keen eye pointing out all the things that didn’t work, to Richard and Belinda for their encouragement and humor!
Feedback and Next Steps -
- Use the website, Search or Directory, whatever you prefer. If you have trouble finding a download link, try looking it up in the Downloads category, if you are searching for a SQL Script, try using the search. If GPWindow helps, let me know or spread the word.
- If you go into a category and notice an old article missing, please shoot me a line. Because of the sheer volume of the articles there could be some articles missing from their appropriate categories.
- Do see any categories missing ? or any categories that are difficult to find ?
- Any other feedback your might have – add it as a comment to this blog or shoot an email.
Hopefully GPWindow will help you find the extremely valuable articles created by people in the GP community ! Good Luck!